I know it sounds weird but bear with me. Apparently savoury flapjacks are a thing.
As it turns out they are actually pretty delicious! I bumped into a friend in town a week ago and she was giving these amazing homemade flapjacks to her little ones and offered one to Alexander. To say he wolfed it down would be an understatement. I had to get the recipe!
Cheese and veg flapjacks
100g unsalted butter
300g porridge oats
350g grated cheese
2 beaten eggs
200g of one of any of the following (grated): carrot, courgette, red onion, sweet potato, swede, parsnip, or pumpkin. (I used butternut squash which worked well!)
- Preheat oven to 180 and lightly grease a Swiss roll tin.
- Melt butter in a pan over a low heat.
- Take off the heat and combine all ingredients in the pan, mixing well.
- Press down into the tin using the back of your spoon/spatula.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown- they may need a few more minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then cut into small slices and turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container. I think they should also be stored in the fridge but that’s up to you!
I didn’t manage to get a photo but they were such a hit with all four of us and a great way of sneaking in a bit more veg (albeit smothered in cheese….) without ending up in this kind of state: